I have graded all of the Professional Bio projects. In this post, I’ll comment on how everyone did and what you can do if you are not happy with your grade.
Overall Feedback for the Class
- Complete bios: Everyone did a good job following the instructions in the assignment by including all of the required information and paying attention to document design.
- Work on document design: Most of the projects used a good layout, with the image well-integrated with the text. Some projects could be improved with more attention to “chunking” text and visual elements.
- Stronger sentences: In some projects, the phrasing was unnecessarily long. Very long sentences in a document like your biography can make it hard for the reader to follow the ideas. Try the #Watch: Using Strong Verbs post for a video from the American Chemical Society that demonstrates how changing the verb can shorten and strengthen the sentences.
- Semicolon use: A couple of people had difficulty with the proper use of semicolons. For a refresher on how to use semicolons, watch the Ted Ed video below. It is a little elementary in style (with the game-like cartoon image), but it is a thorough explanation:
Revision Activities for the Bio Project
I have reopened the assignment so that those of you who want to revise can improve your project. Follow the guidelines below to resubmit your work.
- If I made a mistake
Send me an email message or a private message in Canvas with the details. I’ll fix it.
- If there were problems with the content or design of your bio
Revise your project to improve your work, adding whatever is missing or tweaking the design. Resubmit your project, and I will regrade your work. All revisions MUST be submitted by 11:59PM on the last day of class (Friday, 1/12).
- If you did not submit your work at all
It is too late. Be sure to turn in all the remaining projects if you want to pass the course.
- If something else is going on
Send me an email message or a private message in Canvas with the details. I’ll see what I can do to help you.
Note: This video has closed captioning, so it does not need a transcript.
Credits: Infographic was created on canva.com. Star icon from The Noun Project, used under a CC-BY 3.0 license: rating by Guilhem. Burruss Hall by joepyrek on Flickr, used under a CC-BY-SA 2.0 license.